How To Write A Cozy Mystery – Spring/Summer 2022
Join our Spring/Summer 2022 class of aspiring writers as we learn how to write a cozy mystery together!
This introductory group class provides an overview of how to write a cozy mystery novel. This is not an in-depth writing craft class rather we’re doing a deep dive into the genre for aspiring and established writers ready to learn about cozy mystery writing.
This virtual class of 15 sessions includes online seminars, group discussions, reading material, and downloadable instruction.
During the course of the class, we’ll have published cozy mystery authors stopping by for presentations and Q&A.
Who Is This For?
- Authors who understand how to write a novel but are new to the cozy mystery genre
- Aspiring writers still learning their craft but interested in learning more about the cozy mystery genre
What This Is Not
- This is not a how-to-write a novel class
- This is not how to market your book
- This is not how to get a literary agent
- This is not how to self-publish your book
You will learn the following
I. Foundations of the Cozy Mystery Genre
- Cozy Mystery 101: What Is A Cozy Mystery? Analyzing the genre, Learning the important components of a cozy mystery, Exploring established tropes, new trends and ideas in the genre
- Creating Your Hook: Hobbies and occupations in cozy mysteries + figure out the hook for your series
- What’s In A Name? How to create those puntastic titles? And you’ll have a few ideas for your own first book – Guest instructor, Catherine Bruns
- Coffee, Tea.. or Knitting? How to add cozy touches
- Building Your Cozy World: How to create your small town and the people in it + you’ll create the foundation for your own series
II. Book Club: During the foundations of cozy mystery genre classes, we’ll be reading and dissecting three examples of great cozy mysteries
III. Building Your Mystery
- Creating Your Protagonist: How to develop your amateur sleuth + you’ll create the main character of your own story
- How To Plot A Mystery – We’re learning the basics of mystery 101
- Plotter Or Pantser: What’s the best way to get started? And you’ll create an outline for your first book – Guest instructor, Julie Anne Lindsey
- Whodunnit? How to create red herrings, suspicious suspects and plot twists
- Critique Circle: You’re pitching and we’re critiquing your cozy mystery idea!
When you’ve completed this class, you will have a complete understanding of what the cozy mystery genre is, what should be included in a cozy mystery, and a fully-formed concept for your own cozy mystery.
Please note: You will need to purchase or borrow books (ebook, print, or audio) for class. A full list of books will be provided.
How To Write A Cozy Mystery is taught over 4 months and costs $700.00 Space is limited to 20 students per session. The virtual class is held via Zoom beginning at 3 pm EST (runs for about 2 hours) n Sunday, March 20, 2021, through June 19, 2022. Classes will be held on consecutive Sundays, not including holiday weekends.
At the end of class you’ll have:
- A cozy mystery title for your book
- A hook for your cozy mystery series
- A cozy setting for your cozy mystery series
- A character outline for your amateur sleuth
- An outline for your cozy mystery
Classes will be recorded! If you miss a class or two, you can still watch the lesson and catch up with your work over the course of the class.
How To Write A Cozy Mystery is taught by Amazon, Barnes and Noble bestselling author, Agatha-nominee for first best book and Crooked Lane author, Esme Addison, creator of the Enchanted Bay Mystery Series.
Download the schedule for How To Write A Cozy Mystery Spring/Summer 2022
What They’re Saying About Class!
“The How To Write a Cozy Mystery class with Esme Addison has been incredible. The small group course is part master class, part mastermind as Esme and the group helps you nail down your cozy mystery hook, title, protagonist, plot, and so much more. Esme breaks down the Cozy genre so you understand exactly how to write a book that publishers are hungry for. The guest instructors are heavy hitters in the genre, and they share highly specific, actionable lessons that have inspired me to write, write, write. I appreciate the course handouts, recorded classes available for review, and support of my classmates. The Facebook group has been helpful as well, full of like-minded aspiring Cozy authors sharing their goals and brainstorming together. Take this class if you are ready to write a Cozy of your own. “Jennifer G
GET SIGNED UP FOR OUR SPRING 2022 CLASS!
Make four monthly payments of $175.00
Purchase the course in full.
Pay With PayPal!
Enroll in our ten live online classes and begin writing your cozy mystery in our March – June 2022 class!
Have questions about our How To Write A Cozy Mystery Class?