Eleven Ways Nature Walks Can Elevate Your Cozy Lifestyle
by Esme Addison
As a cozy mystery author and lover of all things cozy, I often find myself drawn to the quiet and peaceful corners of cities. So when I recently visited Dublin, I was thrilled to discover the many parks and green spaces that dot the city. Being in nature can add a lot to a cozy lifestyle, and I’d love to share my thoughts on this topic with you.
I stayed in a lovely castle hotel in Killiney, a suburb of Dublin. And just a few paces away was a gorgeous expansive green walking trail. Upon my arrival in the city, my driver shared the history of the area, I knew that walking up Killiney would be the very first thing I did the next morning.
Being cozy is a part of who I am, and when I travel I still seek to cultivate coziness in my life. Depending on the area, that can be easy or a challenge. In this case, the country of Ireland lended itself to cozy travel.
What Is Cozy?
First of all, let’s define what I mean by a cozy lifestyle. The cozy lifestyle is about embracing comfort and creating a warm and inviting atmosphere in your daily life. It’s about finding joy in simple pleasures and taking time for self-care. Cozy living involves surrounding yourself with things that make you feel happy and relaxed, such as soft textures, warm colors, and meaningful decor. It’s a way of living that prioritizes comfort, relaxation, and contentment, and encourages you to slow down and savor the moment.
Cozy Living: More Than Fuzzy Blankets And Candles
Sometimes people think being cozy or living cozy is only about the way you decorate your house or the types of clothes you wear. But coziness is more than that. It’s a mindset. And it can be a way you plan your day or the types of activities you participate in. One of my favorite ways to extend my coziness beyond the borders of my home is to spend time in nature. While there are many cozy activities to participate in outdoors, one of my favorite’s is to simply take a walk outside.
Nature Walks: A Refreshing Addition to Your Cozy Lifestyle
Nature walks can add balance and connection to a cozy lifestyle. While indoor activities and decor create a comfortable atmosphere, nature walks offer a refreshing change of scenery and the chance to explore the outdoors. Being in nature can reduce stress, boost mood, and improve overall well-being. Incorporating regular nature walks can create a more active and healthy lifestyle, increasing physical activity and cardiovascular health. Nature walks complement indoor cozy activities, providing a well-rounded and fulfilling lifestyle.
Surrounding oneself with nature’s comforting elements can create a calming and relaxing feeling. Nature walks provide an opportunity to experience the soothing sounds of birds chirping, wind rustling through trees, or waves crashing against the shore. Walking in nature can evoke feelings of happiness, calmness, and contentment, all integral to the cozy mindset.
One of the most obvious benefits of spending time in nature is the peace and quiet it offers. In the chaos of city life, finding stillness can be challenging. In a park or forest, distractions can be shut out, providing a restorative experience that can reduce stress and anxiety, and improve overall mood.
A Cozy Mystery Author’s Guide To Living The Cozy Life
Another way that nature can add to a cozy lifestyle is by providing a sensory experience that’s hard to replicate anywhere else. The smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of birdsong, the feeling of sunlight on your skin – these are all things that can help you feel more grounded and connected to the world around you. When you’re in nature, you’re more aware of your senses, and this can be a wonderful way to slow down and appreciate the little things in life.
Of course, there are also practical benefits to spending time in nature. For example, studies have shown that being outdoors can improve your immune system, boost your energy levels, and even improve your sleep quality. So if you’re struggling with any of these issues, it’s definitely worth making time for a walk in the park or a hike in the countryside.
But perhaps the most important way that nature can add to a cozy lifestyle is by reminding us of our place in the world. When you’re surrounded by towering trees or vast open spaces, it’s easy to feel small and insignificant – but in a good way. It can be a humbling and grounding experience, helping us to put our problems and worries in perspective. And this can be incredibly comforting, especially in times of stress or uncertainty.
3 Reasons Nature Walks Can Be Cozy
- Connection with nature: Walking in nature can provide an opportunity to connect with the natural world and appreciate its beauty, which can be a cozy and calming experience.
- Mindfulness: Walking in nature can be a form of mindfulness, allowing you to focus on the present moment and become more aware of your surroundings.
- Enjoyment of seasons: Walking in nature can be a way to enjoy the changing seasons, from the vibrant colors of fall to the crispness of winter or the freshness of spring, which can be a cozy and comforting experience.
8 Reasons To Take A Nature Walk
- Reduced stress levels: Spending time in nature has been shown to reduce cortisol levels (a stress hormone) in the body, leading to reduced stress levels and improved mental health.
- Improved immune system function: Exposure to the natural environment can boost the immune system, leading to improved overall health and a reduced risk of illness.
- Increased physical activity: Being in nature often involves physical activity, such as hiking, walking, or cycling, which can improve cardiovascular health and overall fitness.
- Improved mental health: Studies have shown that spending time in nature can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, and even improve cognitive function and memory.
- Increased Vitamin D production: Exposure to sunlight in nature can increase the body’s production of Vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones, teeth, and immune system function.
- Better sleep quality: Exposure to natural light and fresh air during the day can help regulate the body’s circadian rhythms, leading to better sleep quality at night.
- Lower blood pressure: Spending time in nature has been shown to reduce blood pressure, which can lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Improved mood and overall well being: Being in nature can improve mood, increase feelings of happiness and wellbeing, and promote a sense of relaxation and rejuvenation
So if you’re looking to add a little more coziness to your life, I’d highly recommend spending some time in nature. I’ll admit that I don’t normally explore in this way when I’m home. I have a dog so I take walks, but it’s more a function to exercise my dog. But after walking Killiney Hill, I’ve decided to start walking in a more explorative manner in nature. It doesn’t have to be a gorgeous view, but I would like to spend more time nature – and I don’t have to travel to another country and be in tourist-mode to do so.
What Does Hiking And NASCAR Have In Common? The Occoneechee Speedway Trail
Whether it’s a short walk in your local park or a camping trip in the wilderness, there are so many ways to connect with the natural world and find a sense of peace and comfort.
I documented my walk on Killiney Hill. With amazing views, and opportunities to be alone with my thoughts surrounded by sky, sea, plants, flowers and trees I was able to cultivate a feeling of coziness that stayed with me for days. And if you watch the video, you may feel a bit of those happy feels and high vibrations as well.
You must log in to post a comment.